Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sadly,I'm Smiling on the Inside

To shoot and kill someone in cold blood is an awful thing. It takes a special kind of rage to act out such vengeance. This is nothing to be proud of, even if the act of vengeance is due to the repeated abuse and murder of one's own people. I know this, I am a morally responsible person, so why do I feel the tug of satisfaction  when I hear that 2 police officers were gunned down while sitting in there vehicle by a man who stated it was in retaliation for recent police killings of unarmed Black men? I know its wrong yet I am not sad, disappointed, or feel enraged by this act of violence. Murder is murder there is no justification in such an act but, the hard truth is I wanted payback, I wanted the police to feel that sting that we feel all to often. In the dark recesses of my mind I image the gunman not killing himself, as this one did, but instead calmly calling in shots fired, waiting to be arrested, then 8 weeks later hearing the announcement that the shooter with not be prosecuted and acquitted of all charges.
The Police are enraged over this incident, blaming the media's lack of discretion and bias when describing officers, how the judicial system has felled them, and leaving them wondering if the system is designed to protect them or leave them helpless in the hands of those who view and treat them as a threat.
Maybe this is why I'm smiling on the inside because I know now they understand how it feels to be gunned down because of what clothes you are wearing or what color or culture you represent. Maybe I'm smiling because they now know how it feels to be us. Looking at city officials for a solution and getting back excuses and BS explainations.
I'm not smiling because to men are dead, I am smiling because I know now they know what it feels like to have someone say "show restraint", "trust the system", "justice will be served", and my favorite, "the defendant deserves due process and is innocent until proven guilty".
My smile is knowing that they have now put on our shoes and have to walk in them for a few miles. The only thing that I am disappointed in is that the shooting wasn't video taped by an innocent by stander and played continuously over a course of several weeks so the family have the distinct pleasure of reliving their loved ones death over and over again.
To the families of the slain officers God Bless You.
To the Police Departments across the country, did you honestly think that everyone would simply turn the other cheek? Welcome to our world.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/2-cops-ambushed-fatally-shot-in-car-gunman-kills-himself/ar-BBh3g1E
http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-verizon-us

5 comments:

  1. I find the loss of any life sad. I find Michael Brown's death sad. His parent's lost their son. Eric Garner certainly didn't need to die and his family grieves as well. To have a loved one taken too soon is a tragedy. I am heartbroken to read what the 13 year old son of the slain officer wrote,

    "Today I had to say bye to my father," the teenager wrote. "He was (there) for me everyday of my life, he was the best father I could ask for. It's horrible that someone gets shot dead just for being a police officer. Everyone says they hate cops but they are the people that they call for help. I will always love you and I will never forget you. RIP Dad."

    There is nothing to smile about inside or out. There needs to be another solution other than violence. How could these deaths have been avoided? By not resisting arrest? By not being a police officer? By not going to work? I don't know. But I don't see how any of this mess can make anyone smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im also smiling on the inside its a darn shame someone husband, son or father had to die but there has been violence. After violence from the police against all race and they are abusing there power in every way possible im hoping this brings them down a notch

      Delete
  2. " How could these deaths have been avoided? By not resisting arrest? By not being a police officer? By not going to work? I don't know. But I don't see how any of this mess can make anyone smile." I don't think there are answers for these questions, but you are absolutely correct. The point I am trying to make is that it's natural to feel the sense of revenge will someone goes through such tragedy and trauma, but the tough choice is how do we respond? What do we want in all this? Sure there are ones who say an eye for an eye, but deep down they know that's not right. How do we repair what's so ruthlessly torn? The man that killed these officers was a coward in my book, why? Because he didn't man up and face the consequences of his actions. If he was truly acting in response to recent police brutality then he would have made sure his voice would be heard in during trial. Instead, he killed himself, which tells me, like most suicide cases, that this was a selfish act. Not done for the sense of injustice, but for whatever self serving purpose he had. Thanks for the post Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valeka, the one positive out of this just might be that this could "bring(s) them down a notch". Cops might start holding other bad cops responsible if they new this guys actions could have civilians gunning for them. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

    ReplyDelete
  4. "When people react, it seems to be defensive. We seem to be at a disadvantage. We are uncomfortable with what is being said or done, and we react. In our reactions, our emotions take a central role. The hair on our neck stands on end. We feel our stomach turn. Our face heats up and our defenses are on red alert.
    We know reactions when we see it. In fact, some people on the other side will intentionally stoke the fires, especially when they know we will react. They know if they poke we will coil up and be ready to react in a full way.
    There is a downside to reacting. We let emotions without reason drive us forward. We lose control. Reacting is sporadic and emotional.
    The upside may be passion, but our passion needs to be centered on purpose, not an unexpected, unproductive stimulus.

    On the flip side is respond. There is still an external spur to our response. Responding, though, is more thoughtful. Responses contain reasoning.
    The difference may be this: Responding is guided less by emotion and more by logic.
    Responding may be passive in nature, however, a response is more active, and it can change the direction of an interaction.
    The upside of a solid response is an engaging conversation, all positive and all civil. We learn. We grow. We listen. We respond. We act forthrightly and from within."

    "Have we not come to such an impasse in the modern world that we must love our enemies - or else? The chain reaction of evil - hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars - must be broken, or else we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

    ReplyDelete